Monday, November 16, 2009

The Purpose of this Blog


I am polyamorous and I'm in college.

This poses a few dilemmas.
1) Because of the taboos on non-monogamy in the greater part of the United States, it is a little know fact among friends and family that I have two significant others.

2) I have a hard time meeting poly people my age. There aren't any very many ways for us college polys to connect with poly peers. There also aren't any resources for us.
In the two years since I discovered and embraced the word "polyamory" and its practice, I haven't found a single website, or blog aimed at those of us in college. There are a plethora of fantastic resources for the general poly crowd. Once in a while, there is an article or special about the rising practice of polyamory. But no social networking sites or anything else for polys in their late teens and early 20's.
I've searched high and low to find, meet and connect with poly people my age. I've joined some poly meetup groups and attended several poly munches (informal get-togethers over a meal, usually at someone's home), but at each one I have been undoubtedly the youngest one there. At the first one I went to, I was barely three years older than the hosts' oldest daughter! Although I can easily pass for much older than I am, I don't always want to.
I don't think there are a lot of us young'ins, but I've got a feeling I'm not the only one in this situation.

So, I'm sitting down in my dorm room at 8pm on a Monday night. I've got two tests and an 8am class tomorrow, I need to look for an internship for this summer, and I'm taking finals in a few weeks, but here I am, a busy college student, sitting down to write a blog.

Why am I writing?
To fill an empty niche, to create a resource where none exists.

I'm not an activist, and not much of a pundit, but I am someone who noticed a void; since there isn't anyone else to do it, I'm filling it in myself. Hopefully I'll be filling it in until it's a little more full, in between performing the many balancing acts of college.

No comments:

Post a Comment